Friday, November 8, 2013

Waiting for my real hug

Today I had an appointment right after work that I was rushing out the door to. It was turning stormy so I was looking for a jacket to put on. Being a girl that enjoys "accessorizing" I was looking for my brown jacket that I hadn't worn in a very long time. The last place I remember seeing it was in a coat closet that I don't really ever use. I scrambled through it, and rushed out the door tossing it on as I ran to the car. As I pulled out I felt something prick my wrist. I looked to try to figure out what it was and noticed my inner sleeves were scattered with dry bits of grass and a few thorns from the weeds. Like a wave crashing over me it all came back so sudden... It was this time last year, and Brittany was needing to go to a youth activity. Like the rest of our family always is, she was running late and couldn't find her jacket. Brittany was always very thin and my clothes would drown her out. But I did have one jacket that ties at the waist, so it would probably work. I let her try it on just to make sure, and was impressed at how well it looked on her. It looked so good that I was considering letting her keep it. As she hurried out I remember hoping she would enjoy herself. She wasn't the athletic type at all, and a lot the the activities she went to involved coordination, of which she had very little. She would always feel self conscience during these and worry that she would mess up any team she was on. But she would try and give it her best effort anyway. That night she came home with a big grin on her face, and grass and debris all over. I would have normally been a little upset with her for getting my clothes so dirty, but I was too happy that she had such a good time. I told her to just hang up the jacket for now, we'd wash it later, and to go shower so she could get to bed. In the closet is where it has waited ever since. I have been wearing this jacket the remainder of the evening, knowing her arms were the last ones inside of it. It feels like she is here, embracing me. If only she really could...

No comments:

Post a Comment