Sunday, March 3, 2013

"Thank you" is not enough


Word of Brittany's passing got around very quickly. I expected it would spread among those I knew, I had used Facebook purposely for that reason. I didn't realize I was posting about the last few hours of Brittany's life when I first posted that she was sick. But as things started to unfold, I was glad I had. I could tell what happened without having to actually talk to anyone or deal with questions. I could get to it when I could and yet there was a place that so many people were able to send me messages of condolences and support.
One thing I didn't expect was how much word would get around to those we didn't know. The support from them was unreal. I've mentioned before how there were kids that would go door to door to raise funds, and  other kids that were selling things and donating all the money to us, as well as some that gave up Christmas presents so they could help us out. One of the biggest financial helps was a fundraiser from our local skating rink. We had never met the owners, but he wanted to help. 
The night was amazing! I was so scared to go, it was the first time I had gone out in public. I was so grateful that we had family members who had come a few days early to help support us during the last few days before the funeral. They helped so much to help take the pressure off. We got there pretty close to opening. Finding parking was crazy, the place was so full! We went inside and it was pretty much standing room only. They had used up all the skates they had in the first 10 of opening. Little kids were using adult size skates just to be able to get out on the floor. Every hour they got on the PA system to ask everyone to rotate out the skates to let others have a chance. The auction room was packed with amazing donations, one of which included 2 tickets to an upcoming Justin Beiber concert. I was in tears the whole night, for the first time they weren't tears of sadness. There were so many that came, dropped money in the donation jar and leave. So many that would win a prize and turn around and donate it right back. Collage kids that were calling everyone they knew to just come and skate to help even with a few dollars. I was so touched. With the upcoming medical bills, it was a blessing I will never forget. Not only has it helped to save us financially, but we have made a friend for life in Mike Allen, the owner of Cedar Skate. We will be forever grateful not only for this fundraiser, but for every single act of kindness. Both large and small. Every bit of love that was shown has helped us tremendously.


2 comments:

  1. That was such a touching night and we felt honored to see all of those kindnesses that were being offered to your family at such a very hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many wonderful, good & kind people everywhere, aren't there? What a special night for you and your family to feel the outpouring of love and kindness from so many in your community. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete